Wednesday, February 29, 2012

White Oak #2

I'm in love. With a place called White Oak. So let's see... where did my day begin? It started with cleaning, just picking up old hay for the antelope. Then I got picked up for all the vet procedures of the day. We started with birds, and the baby wattled crane chick, he got some blood drawn and some vaccines, and I got to hold him and take him back to his parents. I then got to see an annual exam on an adult wattled crane, such beautiful birds! We then went to the Curassow's [blue-billed and wattled] for their annuals exams. They have really, really pretty head feathers! After that it was time for giraffe! On the ride over we watched a Bongo female in labor, she only had two little hooves out so far though. And then I was given a reason to actually work on my fear of heights! An adult female named Rags needed some medication so she was put in the squeeze chute, and I was on a platform near her head 10 feet in the air! SO SCARY! I always believed Josh when he said giraffe could kill you, I just didn't realize he meant they could kill you totally and completely on accident. GIANT! I had to duck just to avoid getting plowed by her horns because she was being silly and didn't want her meds. Next they put Wally, a much younger male in the chute, who thrashed around A LOT and panicked a little. I nearly panicked being that high in the air and being shaken around so much, but it definitely taught me I can handle it, and if I want to do some aspects of this I need to work on getting over my fear of heights. On the way out of giraffe meds, we stopped back by Bongo to see a new, wet little baby on the ground! Too adorable, the whole herd crowded around to get a look at the new baby. :] Next was a 4-day old Lesser Kudu calf for it's neonatal exam, I got to hold her for the exam, and my goodness, why so cute? A tech kept holding her head so she wouldn't bash me in the face when we bothered her, but, I would have been way ok with it!! After we released it again it wanted to follow us out, which was really cute, but also really bad for the calf if it had persisted. Luckily she figured it out and made it back to her herd pretty quickly. We also checked on a Gerenuk that is having some medical issues named Sparkle. I think after that it was lunch time, where I met and talked to a keeper from Jax Zoo who was really nice. Then it was back to cleaning, and eventually time to feed out. Fed: zebra, roan antelope, black rhino... and more I'm sure, so much to do! One of the cutest things of the day was feeding a hand raised lesser kudu calf though, she didn't want more than a third of her bottle, and really just wanted to play, so instead of drinking her milk, she nuzzled and licked me, then came right up to my face, and playfully licked my nose! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE! I know there is more amazingness I can't remember, the days there are so packed with awesome I can barely contain myself. I really, really, really want that internship!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment